Friday, March 2, 2012

THE PIRTAES JINX

"Uncle, Uncle" "Enough is enough." "WTH?" "Oy vey!" I think you get it. What else can happen to the Pittsburgh Pirates, baseball's 20-year ongoing failure/laughing stock/circus/punching bag/cannon fodder/fill-in-the-blank? Perhaps I shouldn't ask.



The latest "joke"--newly acquired pitcher  A.J. Burnett, brought it to boost the staff, if out for three months because he... I'm trying to hold back the laughs/tears, he... bunted a ball into his face. (Hearty guffaws ensue everywhere but in Pittsburgh.) Yes, that's right. He did  something any number of uncoordinated 12-year olds could avoid doing. Too much time in the AL, I guess. It's a wonder he didn't hit himself in the back of the head with the bat while warming up rendering himself unconscious. That probably would have been less embarrassing, in fact. 

The Pirates have now gone beyond laughable. Nineteen (19) straight losing seasons, many of those humiliatingly bad. I was one of those people that was panicked when the Pirates almost left Pittsburgh, before PNC Park was built. Now, x-number of years later (seemingly a lifetime) I almost hope they just close up shop and call it a franchise. I'm now convinced they will NEVER be even "good" again. Why is this idiot smiling?




No comments: