Thursday, April 5, 2012

FROM THE STEELER'S WEB SITE

ITEM: Pollard says NFL becoming flag football


Ravens safety Bernard Pollard believes the emphasis on player safety being championed by Commissioner Roger Goodell will turn professional football into flag football.

During an appearance on KILT, Pollard was asked what he thinks Goodell’s ultimate goal is. Pollard answered, “From what I see, we’re gonna be running around with helmets and flags on in about seven years.” Pollard also said Goodell went way too far in his punishments for the Saints’ bounty program, and that he Goodell is fundamentally changing the game.

“It’s getting out of hand,” Pollard said. “This is not powder-puff football, this is not flag football. This is a violent sport. And it’s a fun sport — we all love playing this game. And we’re blessed by God to even go out there and display our talent to the world, but at the same time you can’t sit there and say, ‘We want guts, we want glory, we want heart.’ You can’t give a player heart but at the end of the day you tell him, ‘Well, hold on but be careful when you go to make that hit.’ We wear helmets and shoulder pads. That means you’re supposed to go knock somebody around. We ain’t wearing flags.”

ACTUALLY it will turn into the NBA. No defense. Just going up and down the field scoring.


ITEM: Flacco thinks he’s “the best” QB in football


During a recent appearance on WNST in Baltimore, Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco took a page from the Eli Manning playbook.

“I assume everybody thinks they’re a top-five quarterback,” Flacco said in the interview. “I mean, I think I’m the best. I don’t think I’m top five, I think I’m the best. I don’t think I’d be very successful at my job if I didn’t feel that way. I mean, C’mon? That’s not really too tough of a question. But that doesn’t mean that things are gonna work out that way. It just means that that’s the way it is, that’s the way I feel it is, and that’s the way I feel it should be.”

Flacco’s proclamation comes almost one year after Manning made similar news when he characterized himself as an “elite” quarterback. Manning then led his team to a win in Super Bowl XLVI. In his four seasons as the Ravens’ starter, Flacco is 0-2 in AFC Championship Games, although Baltimore’s loss last season was more a result of Lee Evans’ dropping a pass in the end zone and then Billy Cundiff badly missing a game-tying 32-yard field goal.

Flacco also talked about the status of negotiations with the team for a contract extension.

“It either gets done or it doesn’t,” Flacco said of the negotiations. “And I’m not really too involved in the process besides letting him know how I feel and letting him take care of that and letting the Baltimore Ravens take care of their side. And that’s really my involvement. It’s not about the money, it’s about what you as a player feel that you deserve. And at the end of the day, they’ll take care of it, and I’ll be waiting.”

PERSONALLY, I think Flacco is all fluff and no stuff regardless of his record. The defense carries him most of the time.


No comments: